Joplin

Hi there, Crafties 

Here's a pic of a cardi I finished last year during the lockdown. 


                                                             JOPLIN


It wasn't supposed to be a cardi. It was supposed to be a throw, but the more I looked at the first few blocks, the more the colours shouted Cardi, Cardi. How could I refuse? 

Thus, having all the time in the world I unraveled the few blocks and, using my Joplin-block pattern, I began the cardi. I named the block after Janis Joplin, because I was reading an article about her at the time. And besides, I think she would totally dig all the colours 😏

So, here's the pattern. Of course, you don't have to make a cardi or even a wearable. 

I used some regular acrylic for the cardi and a suitable hook. I blocked the whole piece by spraying it with cold water and let it dry in the shade. 

How to crochet the Joplin-block

V-Stitch = 1DC, 1CH, 1DC

CH 5, JOIN WITH SS

CH 5 (= 1DC +2CH)

DC IN RING 

CH 2

DC IN RING 

REPEAT AROUND TO HAVE 8DC'S WITH CH2 BETWEEN THEM 

JOIN


CHAIN4, DC (1ST V-STITCH) IN SAME PLACE AS JOIN. V-STITCH IN EVERY DC FROM PREVIOUS ROUND, WITH CH 2 BETWEEN THEM 

JOIN


CHANGE COLOUR 

JOIN WITH SS IN ANY V-STITCH 

CH3 (1ST DC), 2DC, CH3, 3DC ALL IN SAME SPACE (CORNER) 

2DC NEXT SPACE 

1DC IN NEXT

2DC IN NEXT

3DC, CH3, 3DC IN NEXT

REPEAT AROUND 

JOIN

WEAVE IN ENDS


Here's an extra round if you want to make it a bit bigger. 

SS TO 1ST SPACE 

CH3,(1ST DC) 2DC, 3CH, 3DC IN SAME SPACE (THAT WILL BE IN A CORNER ) 

CH1

SKIP 3DC'S

DC IN NEXT SPACE 

CH1

SKIP NEXT 2DC'S

CH1

1DC IN NEXT SPACE 

SKIP 1DC

CH1

DC IN NEXT SPACE 

SKIP 2DC'S

CH1

DC IN NEXT SPACE 

SKIP 3DC'S

3DC, CH3, 3DC IN NEXT SPACE 

REPEAT AROUND 

JOIN

WEAVE IN ENDS



                                             This is how the first two rounds look like




             This is the third round. You will notice that it is a rather basic block, but with the right colours, it can be quite a looker...




          And here's your Joplin-block. You can work 3 rounds or 4, one colour or two; any which way, it will look great...                    


I didn't write everything down as I didn't plan to post it. So, this is what I sort of remember. 

I joined the motifs two-two with a sc, ch1, sc in appropriate spaces. Then I joined this by crocheting 2ch,1dc, 2ch.

Fronts = 14 blocks (two-two) at each side

Back = 42 blocks in all

I crocheted a 3 row sc down the sides of the back and front pieces separately before joining it with 2ch, 1dc, 2ch. The I worked another 3 rows down the fronts to neaten the neckline. 




                                        This is how I crocheted the parts together




                                            The way I put the blocks together




                                                 The sleeves


For the sleeves, I used four motifs, then worked granny stitch to lengthen it. 


On a whim, I constructed pockets (three motifs for each pocket) and stitched it to the sides. 






I finished it for last Winter, but didn't get time to wear it often. And oh, sorry if some of the pics are kind of blurry. I am actually doing this in bed; I'm recovering from a serious ankle injury.


I will be around, hope to find you here too 🎈

frieda



Please respect the hard work I've put into my patterns. It may not be much, but it is still mine. Rather refer to poppelandcreates.blogspot.com if ask about your makes. You're welcome to use and sell items made from it.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness!! Joplin is gorgeous and I am sure it'll see (and offer) many happy wears! I am in the midst of working on my granny square collection and have literally been drown in grannies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment 😊 I just know you'll use those grannies for something stunning!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First hello